Saturday, April 7, 2012

April Update

Our 1976 Tarva on Saguaro Lake yesterday
Looks like my updates have been monthly for the past few months. Sorry! We have been busy in this house traveling to Florida to visit in-laws, sewing bee blocks, avoiding other bee projects, historical preservation plans, visits to the vet (and obnoxious lab tests), and working on my Bento Box Swap Quilt.

I have been a busy little bee this past month between bee blocks in my ABL and 3x6 groups! I have neglected my Empower dGS project.... I really, really need to finish up that quilt top, sandwich her up, quilter, and then I think I am going to attempt machine binding..... I have always been afraid of the less-than-stellar results that I am likely to have by losing stitches on the back side while stitching in the ditch on the front. (does that even make sense? I'll explain here in a minute).


ABL mosaic block for Mary
Always Bee Learning March Mosaic for Mary using Tula Pink!

dGS march triangle bee blocks for Ronit
do Good Stitches - Triangle in Triangle for Ronit

Winged Square 3x6 Bee Blocks
Fish Head to a Rumble 3x6 Bee Blocks (4/6) Hubby thinks they look like rival fish gangs squaring off.

3x6 Bee block (mine) Quarter 1
MY 3x6 block for myself in the husband's colors (to match his 1976 Tarva jet boat)
I hope the girls in my hive for the 3x6 like the colors/pattern that I have chosen!! I am overly nervous about this as it is my very first round with them and we are still feeling each other out as far as likes and dislikes.

Wonky Bento Box Swap update
Here's the progress that I am making on my Bento Boxes from the Flickr swap that I was in. I absolutely love this group!! This round was also the best yet! I am only wondering if I would like more overhang (for a queen sized bed) in which case should I make more blocks and make it border-less OR should I make a border (? undetermined how that would need to look as I am loving this scrappiness!). I am really anxious to get this sent off to be quilted. I think something fun like feathers would be cool, I mean c'mon, there's already A LOT going on in this quilt, it would be difficult to tone it down. I honestly am not sure it is even possible.

Rita - Red Pepper Quilts has perfect bindings. Love them!

As I was saying earlier about machine binding and how flawless it can look (and once I have laid eyes upon this perfection, I just cannot accept anything less. le sigh.)... I have always sewed on the front side of the binding of all my quilts by machine and then hand sew the back of the binding to the back side of the quilt. Sure, I like it, it is fun to sit down with the finished project and enjoy it one last time, and it is nice to have a mindless activity, but it sure would be nice to have the durability of machine-sewn binding on both sides. I have always been too afraid that my binding will not be equivalent on both sides of the quilt and then when I stitch in the ditch from the front that stitches may weave on and off of the binding on the backside which in  turn will likely absolutely enfuriate me that I will have to pick out my work or it will look grody.... See my conundrum, I would rather hand sew than pick ANYthing out. I hate picking things out. BUT I found this really great tutorial recommended by Christina of the Sometimes Crafter via Instagram right here: Quick and Easy Quilt Binding Tutorial which uses Wash Away Wonder Under Tape. I think that I need a roll of this stuff pronto. I think that using this can give me the confidence that I will need to even attempt this feat, which I am bound (no pun) and determined to use after I figure out what to do with my do Good Stitches quilt. Oh look.... You can buy it here: Joann's. Lucky me!!

From Modern Domestic
Modern Domestic (cutest binding ever, BTW)
And now that all of that has been shown off, I would like to announce that I am an aunt (again) and everyone is happy and healthy!!! My newest little nephew is the apple of anyone who meets him's eyes. Seriously, he is the cutest little baby. I would post a picture, but he really is not my baby to be posting all about on the interwebs so I will have to that up to his proud mommy and daddy.

I am nursing a head cold/sinus thing/flu? I don't know what it is, but it involves a stuffed up head, lots of nasal secretions (thank-you for the over-share, right?), and the possibility of aspirating every single night when I am trying to fall asleep, it truly is uncomfortable. I am hoping to get better soon so that I can start running again. I am beginning to miss it now that I have had a luxurious 6 months (almost) off!

2 comments:

  1. I have been having the exact same issues with hand stitched vs machine binding. I'm going to check out that tutorial and try machine stitching with my next do. Good Stitches quilt too! I just need to force myself to try it on a few quilts... Also, LOVE the fish head rumble blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been wanting to try out some machine binding too, because one of the quilts I made for Emma is coming loose from my "excellent" hand binding. But I was afraid of exactly what you said. I DO NOT want to have to rip some sewing out of that binding if it's not right. So, with Shannon, I say we all machine bind out do. Good quilts based on this tutorial! ;)

    ReplyDelete