Sunday, October 23, 2011

October Do. Good Stitches Blocks

Here are my blocks for Two Hippos.  I really appreciated the feedback from Shannon who writes on this lovely blog Hello, My Name is Quilt. I was asking her how she got her points so sharp (and perfect) and she said that she pins everything. Well.... I usually do not pin, I am entirely way too impatient for that nonsense. Not anymore. At least not for my Do. Good Stitches projects. Anyhow, this woman is incredibly talented, creative, and sweet! Feel free to stop by and ask her questions, she responds really quickly! I also received some inspiration from Kelli who writes on another awesome blog Small Town Stitcher - I have a really fun group and am inspired ALL the time by these gals!! Check Shannon & Kelli out :)




Clearly the first block is much better looking in regards to seams lining up. That would be because this block is the block where I pinned everything. It is amazing how much movement my machine creates. Pinning really does make a world of difference. The bottom block is my test block. Now that I have completed these two, the first one is not looking so bad. I just think that I am an incredibly harsh critic of my own work.
I have also decided that I need to do something with the boatloads of fabric that I have and I figured that an easy project would be to make a block (or two) out of  fabrics of my choice  using the monthly pattern from either my Always Bee Learning gals or my Do. Good Stitches lady friends. I'm pretty excited because I have a whole stash of (in my opinion) the highly coveted Heather Ross Mendocino fabric. I am pretty much obsessed with this fabric and would like to do something with it before I no longer love the color combinations. I'm excited to be making blocks for me to keep - I'll still likely give the quilt away, but now I feel TWICE as productive!

Here is my first block for that project (just what I need, another project) using this month's October Do. Good Stitches (Empower Circle) block.



As you can see in the second picture... Ugh. I was obviously not paying attention somewhere and I sewed the block wrong... by 180 degrees. So I picked it out and re-sewed the seams. Now I have two gold triangles next to one another. Sure it really bothers me, but I just don't have it in me to pick it out. Again. And sew the seams. Again.

Here is the mock-up of my second 'keep block':

In other non-quilty news, I am excited to say that I might be getting a new car :) Not brand-new-new, but new in all other aspects of the word in that it is new to me, it will be the newest car either the hubs or I have ever known, and that it is pretty.

She is a 2006 BMW X5 - Alpine Silver with Nevada (fitting) black leather interior. Pretty excited to be back into an SUV again. Sports cars are rough on the knees - which I really do need and use for running... Keep fingers crossed that everything works out for the transaction on Monday.

1 comment:

  1. OMG! You are too sweet! I've been a little out of the loop lately, and I'm just now catching up on my blogs and came across your post. I also passed along an award to you. I posted about it here: http://www.hellomynameisquilt.com/2011/11/id-like-to-thank-academy.html (No pressure though...I know life is busy for everyone!)

    Also, did you get your car? I had to order my next one (VW Tiguan) so now I'm just waiting for it to come in...I'm not patient enough for that though!

    ReplyDelete